Can Dogs Eat Chocolate in Boca Raton, FL

Dog owners like to reward and spoil their dogs with treats and to no surprise, dogs love to receive them. The thought may have crossed your mind to share a sweet, chocolatey treat with your canine companion. If so, you’re not the only one. Pet owners of all ages find themselves thinking about whether it’s safe for their dogs to have a little chocolate now and then, so it’s important to be educated on this topic and why chocolate is harmful to dogs.

Use this article to better understand why you shouldn’t give chocolate to your pet and what to do if your dog accidentally eats too much chocolate.

Harmful Ingredients in Chocolate for Dogs Include:

Theobromine and Caffeine

Theobromine and caffeine are the two chemicals that make chocolate dangerous for dogs. They both have similar results, and both cause significant increase in heart rate as well as excessive thirst and excessive urination. Dogs cannot metabolize these chemicals as well as humans can.

Too much of either of these substances can potentially cause a dog’s heart to fail or can cause serious nervous system problems. In either of these situations, the ingestion of chocolate can be fatal, so it’s crucial to respond quickly if your dog eats too much chocolate.

Sugar and Fat

The sugar and fat content of chocolate are both dangerous for dogs as well. Dogs who consume too much sugar in their diets may be at risk of developing diabetes, especially if they regularly eat sugary snacks meant for humans. Additionally, many types of artificial sweeteners that could be found in chocolate are toxic to dogs.

Fat content is harmful to dogs too. Too much fat in a dog’s diet can lead to pancreatitis, which is a potentially fatal condition. It may also lead to bloat, which can cause blocked blood flow to the stomach and other organs, leading to tissue damage and potentially life-threatening consequences. Reduce the risk of both of these conditions by avoiding fatty foods in your dog’s diet.

can dogs eat chocolate in boca raton, fl

Different Levels of Chocolate

Different types of chocolate have different levels of theobromine and caffeine content. White chocolate, for example, does not contain much of either of these substances. Many dogs who ingest a little bit of white chocolate are perfectly fine, but you should monitor your pet to be sure and take them to a veterinarian if an unknown or significant amount is ingested..

Dark chocolate contains the most theobromine and caffeine and is therefore the most dangerous for your pet. Baker’s chocolate is a concentrated form of chocolate intended for baking rather than snacking, and it has much more of these chemicals per ounce as well.

Quantity Matters

The amount of chocolate your dog eats makes a difference when it comes to the issues he may suffer because of it. For example, if your dog is very large and only eats a small nibble of chocolate, he will likely be okay; however, it’s important to still monitor him for a couple of days to be sure.

Although your dog may be safe if he accidentally eats a small amount of chocolate, you should always avoid feeding it to him on purpose.

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning

Early symptoms of chocolate poisoning may include vomiting and diarrhea; however, if your dog only vomits or has diarrhea once or twice and then seems fine, the situation is likely not going to get worse. To receive appropriate care and advice, consult with a veterinarian after your dog ingests chocolate.

Your dog may have an increased heart rate or may be extremely restless if he is suffering from chocolate poisoning. Additionally, in severe cases, he may collapse, have a seizure, or could even die. This is why it is crucial to respond quickly if you suspect chocolate poisoning in your dog.

dog eat chocolate boca raton, fl

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate

If your dog consumes more than a bite of chocolate, or if he consumes any baker’s chocolate, contact a veterinarian right away. If the incident occurs outside normal operating hours, take your dog to an emergency vet to make sure he gets the care he needs.

The vet or emergency vet will ask you questions and examine your dog to determine the extent of the problem. If your dog is suffering from symptoms, the vet may induce vomiting or may need to perform more extensive treatments. Your dog will likely be given IV fluids as well.


As you can see, chocolate is harmful for a variety of reasons. By remembering these reasons, you can make the right decision the next time you find yourself wishing you could share some of your favorite chocolatey treats with your pet.

If you have any other questions, or if your dog accidentally ingests chocolate, be sure to contact a veterinarian for more information. If your dog eats a lot of chocolate or consumes any concentrated baker’s chocolate, don’t wait; go to a veterinarian or emergency vet right away. Responding quickly can help prevent chocolate poisoning in your dog.

If you have any questions about your dog’s health, call 441 Animal Hospital today at (561) 482-5600 or schedule an appointment online!